Think of Schick, and great shaves come to mind. Yet Schick is only one of the many established brands of Energizer® Holdings, Inc. (ENR),a global consumer goods company with products extending beyond personal grooming to include portable power, lighting, skin care, feminine care, and infant care products. It operates in 50 countries, and distributes products in more than 160 countries.
The Energizer Personal Care (EPC) division has a significant presence in Connecticut, with its main headquarters in Shelton, and multiple sites in surrounding areas. The Energizer site in Milford, CT is the main North American production facility for Schick razors and blades. Each year, the facility completes multiple energy reduction projects with the guidance and financial assistance from United Illuminating’s (UI) Energy Efficiency Fund. Since the early 1990s, more than 75 conservation projects have been completed at the site, including:
- installation of new ammonia dissociators that require only about 33 percent of the electrical input energy as conventional units.
- variable speed drives added to fans and chillers in every cooling system.
- installation of two 250 ton magnetic chillers to replace conventional chillers. These require only about 40 percent of the input energy for the same capacity.
- two new HVAC systems that provide dehumidification with minimal steam reheat, and require less energy for condensing gas. installation of a 250 hp VSD compressor to replace a less efficient screw compressor.
- upgrading of external facility lighting to either induction or LED technology.
- occupancy sensors in office areas, conference rooms, and restrooms
- regular replacement of obsolete HVAC equipment, leveraging available incentives and installing the highest efficiency units.
During the past three years alone, the Milford site has reduced its energy usage by more than 3 million kWh.
UI partners with Energizer in all its energy conservation endeavors, providing technical assistance/review, training, financial incentives, and rate reviews. Milford has recently entered into an agreement with UI to generate a three-year strategic energy management plan for the site.
The Energizer Milford facility has helped drive energy efficiency efforts at other EPC sites. Milford representatives assisted the Global Director of Environmental, Health, Safety and Sustainability in developing energy standards for all Energizer Personal Care facilities. Milford personnel also participate in an EPC energy team that identifies corporation-wide energy opportunities. Symbolizing Energizer’s commitment to energy efficiency and conservation beyond the company itself, Milford employees often demonstrate their equipment and systems to representatives of other non-EPC facilities. The compressed air, chilled water, and building management systems have inspired the largest amount of opportunities for other organizations.
Energizer’s commitment to energy efficiency exemplifies the company mantra: “Keep challenging, keep growing.” For the environment—and for the company—the results are as satisfying as the smoothest of shaves.